This website is best viewed in Internet Explorer 8 or above. You are currently using an old version of Internet Explorer. Please click on this link to update your browser.

0808 800 2200

Free bus pass

For travel across Scotland

If you meet the minimum age requirement for a UK driving licence (aged 16 and over) and have had a seizure within the last 12 months you are entitled to a free National Entitlement Card (bus pass). 

To apply for the bus pass you need to request Form NCT001 from your local authority (or the Travel Card Unit if you live in Strathclyde). You also need Form NCT003 which you can request from us.  You complete and return the forms to the same place.  Your GP, Epilepsy Specialist Nurse or consultant will need to sign the NCT003 form.  Please note that some GPs will charge a fee for signing the form.  If you want to avoid paying this fee, you could ask your epilepsy specialist nurse or consultant instead.  If you have a letter from the DVLA revoking your licence or refusing you a licence on medical grounds, you can use this letter as proof of eligibility instead of the NCT003 form.


If you (or your child) are of fare paying age (5 years or older), you (or your child) may also be entitled to a free bus pass if you are, for example, in receipt of the middle or higher rate of Disability Living Allowance (DLA), standard or enhanced rate of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), or Attendance Allowance (AA).  You can use a letter from the Department of Works and Pensions awarding you DLA, PIP or AA as proof of eligibility.    


To make the application for a free bus pass, you will need to provide a passport photograph and proof of address when returning the form.  A young person may not have proof of address (eg a gas bill). Instead they can use a letter from the school or local authority confirming the young person lives in the council area, or a child benefit letter.


Some people who need to be accompanied when travelling, can apply for a National Entitlement Card containing the companion entitlement (C+1).

Everyone in Scotland who is 60 or over is entitled to the free bus pass in any case.  You do not have to disclose that you have epilepsy.


The bus pass is valid for 12 months. Once you have one you may automatically be sent a renewal form each year but this depends on where you live. Your bus pass will only be renewed if you have had a seizure during the previous 12 months (epilepsy criteria) or if you continue to be in receipt of DLA, PIP or meet any other disability criteria.


The completed application should be taken in person to your local authority to process.  Call your local authority to find the place nearest you that processes the forms.  This will often be your local social work office or library.  It is different for every town. 


If you feel you are entitled to a free bus pass or need more information on the scheme, please contact your local authority or local concessionary scheme office.  You can also call our helpline on 0808 800 2200.